Searching Multiple Data Sources
- dtSearch products support integrated relevancy ranking with highlighted hits across both online and offline data repositories.
- Federated searching span any number of directories, emails (with nested attachments), and databases.
- The Spider adds local and remote, static and dynamic online content to a search. The Spider can index sites to any level of depth, with support for public and private or secure online content, including log-ins and forms-based authentication.
Basic Search Types
- Natural language searching lets you enter a “plain English” (or any other international language) unstructured search request.
- Phrase searching
finds phrases like: due process of law.
- Boolean operators
like and/or/not can join words and phrases: due
process of law and not (equal protection or
- Proximity searching
finds a word or phrase within “n” words
of another word or phrase: apple pie w/38
finds a word or phrase “n” words
before another word or phrase: apple
pie pre/38 peach cobbler.
- Phonic searching
finds words that sound alike, like Smythe in
a search for Smith.
- Stemming finds
variations on endings, like applies, applied, applying in
a search for apply.
- Numeric range
searching finds any number between two numbers,
such as between 6 and 36.
- Macro capabilities
make it easy to include frequently used items
in a search request.
- Wildcard support
allows ? to hold a single letter place, and
* to hold multiple letter places: apple*
and not appl?sauce.
- Regular expressions support provides a way to search for combinations of characters.
- Digit character matching enables searching for patterns of numbers.
- Unicode support allows for searching of all Unicode-based international languages, including support for “right to left” languages and special options for Asian character handling.
- New multicolor hit-highlighting search options (up to 10 highlight colors)
searching uses a proprietary algorithm to find
search terms even if they are misspelled.
fuzziness adjusts from 0 to 10 so you can fine-tune
fuzziness to the level of OCR or typographical
errors in your files.
search for alphabet with a fuzziness
of 1 would find alphaqet; with a fuzziness
of 3, it would find both alphaqet and alpkaqet.
is not built into the index, so you can vary
fuzziness at the time of each search.
Concept / Synonym / Thesaurus Searching
searching lets you look for fast and
find quick, speedy, etc.
offers variable levels of automatic synonym
expansion based on a comprehensive semantic
network of the English language.
can also add your own thesaurus terms.
- For example, Frank and Jones would not be synonyms covered by the built-in semantic network. But if you are working on the Frank Jones case, you may want to make them synonyms for purposes of your case. The same principle applies to technical jargon like airbags and SRS.
Metadata Search Options
- dtSearch products support metadata in all supported search types. More metadata search types
- The dtSearch Engine also supported faceted searching and other advanced data classification.
- Along with natural language algorithms, dtSearch products also support positional scoring and full-text and metadata-based variable term weighting.
- See also faceted search and metadata.
all search types are combinable.
- You can make your search request as complex as you want — see Search Tips at right.
Special Forensics Search Options